Danger - Smanger!


How dangerous could it really be?

Being hoisted up in the air in the bucket of a bulldozer on a newly created sloping road base while holding a running chainsaw. I really need to start taking more pictures. Although photos my just provide ammunition for my daughter. "But Dad, remember when you did that stupid thing when you were younger?"

Well the question for my last entry has been answered. Melvin (that's him on the backhoe) and I got to work on the road going up to our house site today. Very rocky and very dusty. The bank was cover with small cedars and pines. Melvin said,"They suck every last bit of moisture out of the soil." And he's right. The soil was very fine and a yellowish color, but as soon as we broke into the pasture the nice brown topsoil reappeared. After we reached the top of the hill with the crawler (bulldozer) Melvin thought it would be best to scalp the sod of the rest of the road with the motor grader. That brings me to todays next dangerous activity.

Melvin's motor grader, a 1972 Galion, was located a few miles down the road and another job site. We drove to it in his truck and then I followed him back to the farm with my flashers on doing about 7 mph. I was surprised at how cooperative most of the people were as they backed up behind us. The truck drivers seemed to be a little more aggressive than most and passed useasily, as well as the several cars that were afraid to do so.

Tonight I'm heading back out to the farm to finishing marking in the road. It looks like in three or four days we should be able to scoot right up to the house site. Hopefully to rains from Hurricane Katrina won't wash everything away before we get the gravel down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Road Again

Aerial Survey